I’ve been super aware of not just my bad habits, but other people’s lately. At first, I wasn’t sure if these would be considered bad manners or bad habits, but I’ll give some of you the benefit of the doubt and say it’s just a bad habit you may have picked up.
Here are 5 things that get on my nerves AKA if this is you, please drop these bad habits ASAP for the sake of everyone around you:
- Don’t be late. Nothing says “I don’t respect your time” more than someone being late and acting like it’s totally fine. Time is money, and some people have way better things to do than to sit around and wait. If you know you’re going to be late, give as much notice as possible – it’s the polite thing to do.
- Don’t be on your phone. It is so incredibly rude when someone is on their phone at dinner or hanging out one-on-one. I came to hang out with you, not to watch you hang out with your phone. I always say, “if it’s a text message, it’s not that important. If it’s a phone call, take it.” Truthfully, if any text were really that urgent, the person would get a phone call and not wait for a text back.
- Keep the door open for the next person. It’s just common courtesy.
- Be aware of your surroundings. Don’t stand in the middle of an aisle or store, blocking foot traffic. People are trying to get around.
- Don’t interrupt. RUDE! Haha, sorry, I had to throw in my girl Bon Qui Qui. But seriously, don’t interrupt when someone is talking – especially just to say something irrelevant. It screams “I am fully not listening to you and I just care that you hear what I have to say.”