Happy Mother’s Day to all the amazing mommies out there and to the dads who have to play both roles! As we celebrate the amazing people who play the ‘mom’ role in our lives, it’s gotten me to think about my relationship to my mom and how she has shaped me into the young woman I am today.
My mom (Queen Mitra as we like to call her), exemplifies what it means to be a modern day woman. I’m not quite sure how she manages to be the most amazing mother to my brother and I, a top-of-the-line wife, a powerful business woman, loyal friend and the list could go on and on. To be honest, if I end up to be even half of this woman, I’ll consider myself lucky. She’s taught me so much about what it means to be a woman in today’s world and has also been a mom to all of my friends with her perfect advice and loving heart.
For Mother’s Day, I wanted to share with you 5 things my mother taught me about being a woman in 2016!
- You have to be able to stand on your own two feet. Growing up my mom would explain to me that times are changing and a woman should know how to be self-sufficient. It’s perfectly fine if you don’t want to work/want to stay home with your kids/etc, but things can go wrong and you need to need to know how to pay your bills, budget, and pull your weight should something happen. It’s also important to have independence and be 100% whole on your own so that with your partner, you guys can be 200% instead of 100%.
- Be a girl’s girl AND a guy’s girl. It’s important to have both, not one or the other. You should know how to sit on the couch and hang with the boys as well as go shopping and have lunch with your girlfriends. It gives you better social skills and you learn how to connect to different types of people.
- Empower other women. Growing up I watched my mom empower the women around her. By seeing how caring she was and how she genuinely wanted the women around her to succeed, I too became my friends’ #1 fan. I learned that when women are able to join forces, we become the real game changers. There’s plenty of room for us to all succeed. No need to compete, collaborate instead!
- Follow your intuition. I remember always asking my mom, “what’s your feeling about this?” Her intuition has always been so strong! Little did we know, mine was too. She taught me to listen to my gut, as a woman’s intuition is never wrong. I’m thankful that she encouraged me to listen to my feelings because now I feel more in tune with my body and the universe. PS – now SHE is the only asking ME what my feeling is!
- Work hard, play harder. This one is my favorite. Queen M has taught us all to grind all day, but to make sure to play harder. Work hard for a few months, take a major vacation. Have a hectic work week? Take the weekend and blow off some steam. I used to work 7 days a week, but she showed me to work more efficiently and to schedule in at least 1 day off where I disconnect from my computer. We were taught that our careers/money/etc can all be taken away from us and all that’s left is our personal relationships, so we have to take the time to water those.
What are some lessons your mother taught you?
And to my lovely mama, thank you for shaping me into the woman I am! I love you always, always.