We’re back with part 2 of our Fitalicious_Me exclusive! Here’s part 1 in case you missed it.
Sali and I met up with Vevian, planned our menu (recipes will be in part 3), and went on our way to get the ingredients for the lowest price possible.
Here is what we learned about how to shop and some helpful [typography font=”Cantarell” size=”14″ size_format=”px” color=”#ff6666″]Bougie-On-A-Budget[/typography] tips:
1) You may have to go to a few different stores. Luckily for Vevian, she lives around some awesome places and has access to a 7 day-a-week farmer’s market and asian market. The farmer’s market has the best deals we have ever seen on veggies! The asian market was great for things like Sriracha and salmon.
2) Buy the bigger vegetable if the price is per item and not per pound. If the deal says “Cauliflower: $1.99 each”, go ahead and find the heaviest in the bunch. When you see things like that, you can get more bang for your buck.
3) Do your homework. I know it’s annoying, but it’s important to scope out which markets are currently having specials on your basic necessities, and where to go for what ingredients. As I’m growing up, I’m learning how to be more responsible with my money.
4) Smell the pineapple. Don’t know how to tell if a pineapple is good? Smell it! If it smells sweet, then you’ve got a good one.
5) Don’t over shop. The entire time we were shopping I was like, “are you sure we don’t need more?!” and I was so wrong. We had so much left over. What we don’t realize sometimes is that we don’t need that much food and it’ll go to waste just sitting in your fridge and rotting.
6) It’s easy to plan your meals around being cost-efficient. Don’t know what to make? Go to the market and see what veggies are on sale and pair it with a protein that’s also on sale!
7) Eating healthy does not mean spending more money. We made a 5 course meal for [typography font=”Cantarell” size=”14″ size_format=”px” color=”#ff6666″]UNDER 30 bucks[/typography] ! You’ll see just how much food we made next week and you won’t believe your eyes. I couldn’t believe mine when we went to the register!
What are some of your favorite grocery shopping tips? Have any questions for Vevian? Leave them below!
xo [typography font=”Cantarell” size=”14″ size_format=”px” color=”#ff6666″]NM[/typography]
Follow Vevian on Instagram
Follow Nic on Instagram