In the spirit of Passover, which you have seen as the topic of some other posts on GMM this week, I thought I’d share my macaroon recipe with you all!
I’m not much of a baker (as you can tell from my previous recipes), but these macaroons are a must! Also, it is really quick and really simple to make them (and they make hardly any mess…no mixers needed!)
I would suggest only making one batch at a time – doubling up on the recipe can lead to different results.
My recipe will give you approx. 12 macaroons.
- X 2 eggs (large eggs are best)
- Flaked almonds
- 125g caster sugar
- 125g ground almonds
- Vanilla Essence
- Baking parchment
- Pre-heat oven to 175 degrees celsius
- Separate egg yolk and white – you will need the egg white
- Put caster sugar and ground almonds into a bowl
- Add vanilla essence
*You need the mixture to be like a paste…if you add the egg whites too quickly the mixture will be too wet and the macaroons will look flat*
- To ensure you get this consistency you must add approx. half of the egg white slowly and mix it in
- As you continue to mix the paste add egg white if needed
*mix with a wooden spoon*
- Take a teaspoon sized amount of the mixture and roll into a ball
- If you want to add an almond flake onto the macaroon then you can do this once it has been rolled into shape
*the macaroons should be rolled onto baking parchment to make them easy to lift once cooked
- Cook in oven for 10mins on 175 degrees celsius
- Take the macaroons out of the oven and leave them to cool
- Tip: whilst one batch is cooking you can prepare your next batch to go in after