We have heard SO many things about the new restaurant in Los Angeles, Petty Cash Taqueria, and obviously the only thing we could do is go see what the hype was about!
If you can’t tell already I’m a HUGE foodie and luckily for me, so are many of my Give Me Mora girls! On Wednesday night we headed over to Petty Cash on Beverly Blvd most excited to try their famous “Roasted Cauliflower Nachos”. I was the first to arrive out of the three of us and I quickly noticed how it was a packed house — at 9PM on a random Wednesday night. I figured maybe this would just be the end of the dinner crowd, but nope, it was still packed until we left at 11PM! When a restaurant is constantly crowded, you know they’re doing something right.
Something we love doing for this site is finding ways to dine luxuriously without breaking the bank and feeling like we have to watch ourselves. We also love ordering a bunch of things and sharing so we can try different items and see which we like best. The beauty of Petty Cash is that the portions are big enough to share and you don’t have to bat an eyelash at the prices — it’s all very reasonable.
Since I got there first, I ordered guacamole to go along with the complimentary chips they serve diners so that there would be snackage going on until we were ready to order. The girls ordered Mexican Coke while I ordered their Horchata that was made with almond milk — yes almond milk — which I was thrilled about because I don’t drink regular milk. The Horchata was delicious, not heavy and a perfect start to our appetizer. The guacamole was fresh and one of the best we have ever had. The manager recommended getting the “Bomb.com”, but since we don’t eat pork, we had to pass. Looked good though and seems like everyone was ordering it.
Here’s the lowdown of what we ordered, what we loved and what we maybe didn’t love:
1) Guacamole. Fresh, chunky, & a generous portion. If you eat or like pork as well as sea urchin, definitely go for the Bomb.com.
2) Roasted Cauliflower Nachos. Hands down, our FAVORITE of the night. Crispy tortilla chips, an avocado sauce with cheese, roasted cauliflower and crispy kale. It’s big enough for split with 4 or 5 people. We were 3 starving monkeys and cleaned the plate. Would do it all over again in a heartbeat.
3) Crispy Brussel Sprouts. The brussel sprouts were cooked to crispy perfection. The dish has a thick chipotle sauce on the bottom that we did not necessarily care for. I mean, I loved it because I love all things spicy, but it was too much sauce. Ask them to do half the amount they normally do.
4) Fish Taco. The fish was fried, juicy and full of flavor. I really enjoyed this one and think it’s one of the best fish tacos I’ve ever had. It didn’t feel oily or gross at all and the fish portion was big.
5) Carne Asada Taco. I don’t eat red meat, but the girls each got one of these and loved it. It looked delicious and they seemed very satisfied after they finished it. The meat, according to them, was good quality meat, juicy, and seasoned to perfection.
*Note: The tacos come individually. The manager also recommended we do the Octopus taco, but we couldn’t stomach that after everything we were consuming.
The manager gave us a yummy dessert that was a play on the classic churro. They were crispy chips that tasted like churros and had chocolate sauce over it. We liked it, but it was a bit too oily for us.
Bougies! Petty Cash also has great deals on Mondays! They call it “Margarita Monday“, where their margaritas are only $6. The drink menu was well crafted — we will definitely be going back for food AND drinks this time!
After eating and ordering all of this food, we expected or bill to come out to over $100, but were pleasantly surprised that it was just around $60 total! It’s hard to find dinner for under 30 bucks and we are so happy we found a fun, yummy and popular place. We will definitely be coming back.
You can visit the Petty Cash website here.
xo NM & the GMM girls