I am the QUEEN of overpacking! I always promise myself that I won’t ever overpack again, and what happens? I end up needing to use my carry-on. It’s a vicious cycle. As summer is quickly approaching and we’re all getting ready to go on trips, I thought this would be the perfect post to get you started!
Here are some tips we can all use to make sure you pack smart:
1) Make lists. I make several.
- What you plan on taking with you (including toiletries)
- What you need to buy for the trip
- What you need to do before you leave (for example, changing currencies, paying your credit card bill, getting your nails done..etc)
2) Narrow down. Realistically you don’t need all the stuff you want to take.
- Most things can and should be worn more than once — bring pieces of clothing with you that you can mix and match to create new outfits.
- Helpful tip: for every 10 days, you really only need 3 pairs of pants and 1 pair of leggings and/or stockings. For 21 days I brought black jeans, blue jeans, dark green jeans, leather leggings, regular leggings, leather jeans, and black stockings plus work out pants. WAY too much.
- Going somewhere cold? Bring a winter coat, leather jacket and one other warm jacket. For 3 weeks, I packed 4 jackets and that was perfect. I wore each of them to the core.
- Going somewhere hot? Use the same tip I used for pants for shorts.
3) Pack the right shoes. Shoes are heavy and take up a lot of room — just ask the shoe obsessed chick right here!
- I always bring a pair of tennis shoes with me. I like to rock them at the airport (ew) because they’re usually the heaviest of the shoes I bring and also take up the most room.
- Heels. Ladies, if you’re going to Europe, don’t kid yourself into thinking you’re going to wear 3 pairs of heels. Doesn’t happen. Bring a nude colored wedge or comfy heels — you only need to pack one versatile shoe! Two is the max amount you should bring in the summer time anywhere.
- Sandals and/or flats. Bring two. they don’t take up much room and they’re easy.
- Boys: one pair of dress shoes, one pair of converse and one pair of loafers. If you absolutely must, bring sandals for the beach. Don’t think about wearing flip-flops anywhere else. Seriously.
4) Buy your toiletries beforehand. Toiletries might be decent priced in America, but that’s about the only place. #BougieOnABudgetTip
- Travel aisle. If you’re traveling anywhere from 5 days to 2 weeks, buy your toiletries in the travel section of CVS, Target, Rite Aid or any convenience store.
- Portable toothbrush. The best invention known to man. I buy them from CVS and they are the best. They virtually take up no room and come in two.
- Travel sized medicine. Buy some. You never know when or if you’ll start feeling sick.
5) Compartmentalize your suitcase. The worst thing ever is packing your suitcase and then not being able to find anything because it’s not organized. Story of my life
- Make sections. One section should be for bottoms, one for tops, one for under garments, one for jackets and one for dresses (if you’re a girl). I put my shoes and toiletries at the top before I close up the suitcase. Also, make sure your toiletries are wrapped in a bag — if it explodes it won’t get all over your clothes.
Good luck and enjoy your travels! xo NM